Oh, school. That wonderful institution of learning at which all are enlightened. How can you help but adore it?
Yeah right. Even I’M not that weird.
Sure, school is awesome. I do love learning, I love the people, and I love the atmosphere. But let’s be honest: if it’s a choice between lots of hard work and boredom, and endless amount of free-time, who chooses Numero Uno?
No one, that’s who. Really, it’s quite sad. The whole point of general education class requirements in a college degree plan is, actually, to ‘enlighten’ those who take them. It’s to give every college student a basic, well-rounded, functional knowledge of the plethora (yes, PLETHORA) of life concepts that affect and mold our lives, whether we are aware of them or not.
Take Microeconomics: Not many people enjoy a 3 hour lecture on how trade, markets, supply and demand, and equity all tie together into a respected branch of the social sciences. And in many people’s minds, economics = money. Simple as that. We’re just going to the ignore ‘micro-,’ whatever it stands for.
In practicality, microeconomics determine how much you pay for a roll of toilet paper, how much you get paid at your day job (your night job, too!), and how long it will take you to pay off the loan on your car.
It seems obvious to me, then, that microeconomics is a pretty big part of my life, and that it would be both beneficial and interesting (gasp) for me to know a little bit more about the concept.
Am I the only one?

No comments:
Post a Comment