Title: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Rating: PG-13
Length: 138 minutes
Stars: Russell Crowe, Paul Bettany
My Rating: 4 stars ****
Recommended by: The Odd Wizard of MO
The story centered around a British naval captain, Captain Jack Aubrey, and his ship, the HSM Surprise. The movie is set in the very early 1800s in the oceans around South America (maybe
This movie is not for the faint of heart. I certainly don’t enjoy violence, but in this movie it is simply a part of the story and was not overly emphasized, so I could live with it.
At the same time, humor also has its place in the movie and is well-used. An example: “Name a shrub after me. Something prickly and hard to eradicate.”
As for the characters, they are realistic and believable. You grow attached to them quickly, and, as a warning, not all of them survive. It’s a battleship. There are battles. Men die. That’s just the facts. Even some of the guys you care about will die.
The captain, Jack Aubrey, is a powerful character. You come to care about him, but you also realize he is not perfect and can make bad decisions. In the end he redeems himself, as all truly good characters do. His friend, Stephen, was a difficult character for me. I liked him, but I don’t think I would want to be friends with him. Maybe part of what bothered me about him was that I recognized the actor but couldn’t place him. Turns out he (Paul Betanny) played Dustfinger in “Inkheart.” The friendship between Jack and Stephen is explored in relation to their different levels of authority, which adds an interesting element.
Sadly, there are no absolutely no women or girls “Master and Commander”. :( I just felt the need to mention this and bemoan it.
Rusell Crowe was...okay, okay, I'll say it. Hot. Even with long(ish) hair. Happy now? He had a confidence and command that 'proved' his character. Don't ask me what that means :P
Overall, it was a good movie. Not absolutely spectacular, but it earned four stars.

No comments:
Post a Comment